We seek a scientist who will join us in moving NORSAR’s research in atmospheric infrasound forward, evaluating usefulness and viability of data for applications in middle atmospheric dynamics, numerical weather prediction (NWP), climate modelling, and data assimilation.
Ground-based infrasound data provide continuous sampling and monitoring of the state of the middle atmosphere on both regional and global scales. Therefore, such data have great potential in both assessing and improving medium/long range NWP as well as sub-seasonal to seasonal prediction products – in particular for scenarios where middle atmospheric dynamics, stratospheric-tropospheric coupling, and atmospheric teleconnection patterns are influencing the ground level weather and climate.
NORSAR will advance its efforts in exploring the potential of infrasound datasets in atmospheric model validation and in constraining ensemble forecast products. We seek a researcher who will strengthen NORSAR’s team with expert skills in middle atmospheric modelling, data assimilation, and forecasting. We anticipate the applicant to already be part of international expert networks within the relevant research communities.
Qualifications and Skills
Applicants must hold a PhD in an appropriate research field and should be proficient in at least one of the following fields and topics:
- Middle atmospheric characterization and simulation with applications to medium/long range weather forecasting and climate modelling
- Operational and ensemble forecasting systems. Atmospheric analysis and re-analysis products, their strengths and limitations
- Atmospheric infrasound data processing and analysis, including nonlinear acoustic wave propagation and preferably array signal processing
- Assimilation of data into atmospheric models – especially for medium- and high-top models
We expect the successful candidate to be an ambitious team player with:
- Ability to collaborate in a team as well as to independently solve individual assignments
- Proficiency in written and spoken English with strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong signal processing and programming skills (in, e.g., Python, C/C++)
- A diverse and challenging job within an international team
- Flexible working conditions with competitive terms
Deadline for Application: June 10th, 2017
Candidates may be requested to pass professional selection procedures.
Applications with documentation of competence, experience and letter of motivation should be sent electronically to email@example.com as soon as possible.
Interested candidates may obtain additional information by contacting Tormod Kværna, or calling: +47 916 48 832.
Download as PDF.